Subject: RE: UKNM: Flash
From: David Jacobs
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:20:29 +0100

The sorts of things cited are instances of poor design. One of the biggest
advantages of Flash is the capability for much SMALLER file sizes, and
therefore shorter downloads. Those who abuse the technology should not be
taken as its representatives. I only commit half of those sins at
itverge.com. ; )

Most sites should not have an extensively Flash animated interface. From a
marketing angle, stuff should only fly around if a certain sense of energy
or "wow-ness" is part of the message. Much calmer uses can still be
appropriate even in the stuffiest corporate sites. For instance, onMouseOver
changes are good UI design, and can be accomplished with MUCH smaller file
sizes in Flash. This is an example of a restrained use that is appropriate.

Don't blame the technology when the technologists are at fault. Instead,
say: "I really hate badly designed Flash sites that waste my time with
pointless, arbitrarily animation, without consideration for download time."
See, isn't that diplomatic? : )

David Jacobs
Web Developer
Skywalker Communications