Subject: RE: UKNM: RE: panorama
From: Glen Collins
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:20:32 +0100

Neil wrote, " Hilarious because it was so off the mark. Poorly researched
programme and not one that Panorama should be proud of. "

Sadly I don't think it's that off the mark.

There's an absolutely huge amount of 'hopefulls' (being a polite phrase for
them) who have ill conceived business plans and no idea of the industry or
indeed belief in where it's going.

The thing that was dissapointing about the programme was that it only showed
this side of the startup industry.

It's probably the majority or certainly a large part of the current UK start
up's that have this purely gold-rush outlook, but it would have been nice to
have had an individual or company who actually believe in what they are
doing and have a strong management team, strong idea, strong financial basis
etc etc purely for balance if nothing else.

We're working with a lot of startups who indeed fit this bill and I'm sure
just one of them would have given this balance to the programme.

However, it's not surprising that they were not sought out in the research,
as it makes for a better story portraying the naive startups who will freely
admit they are just looking for a quick buck.

Glen.
Glen Collins
Digital Outlook Communications Ltd
6 Melbray Mews