Subject: Re: UKNM: Memes and marketing - dancing hampsters
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:20:46 +0100

John McCarthy wrote:

> > yes, but globally, what's spread faster, that Levi's ad, or Mahir, the
> > hampster dance, or the neiman marcus cookie virus?
>
> A global TV campaign - like the Pepsi re-branding - doesn't spread as
such -
> it is broadcasted to billions of people.
> What does spread is conversation about TV ads.
>
> If you asked the UK population whether they had seen or heard of:

which is why I said 'globally', you're not comparing like with like.

cost is clearly a factor in the 'ease of transmission' of a meme. It is
*relatively* more difficult to do a global TV campaign, than for a meme
to spread over the net. And among the online community, I'm not sure
what you've said is true.

> a) the hamster dance
> vs
> b) the Levis ad
>
> I'd put my money on the Levis ad coming out tops.
> Of course, if you asked me which was cheaper, my answer would be totally
> different.

so what you're telling me is not everybody is online yet? thanks.

> ps. What's the neiman marcus cookie virus when it's at home?

I could just wait until someone sends it to you, but...

http://www.google.com/search?q=neiman+marcus+cookie+virus

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin
info: http://www.isness.org/house/boat/sig.txt **/

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com