Subject: Re: UKNM: Dot Com Fever
From: Charles Linn
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 01:39:15 +0100

> > to the point of saying that they didn't think that the online bubble was
> going to
> > burst! Is it?
>
> There's so much talk about the bubble bursting. I think valuations will
> start to level off and the companies with unsound business models will
> suffer, badly. However, this is the point at which the strong business
> models and the (dare I say it) profitable models will come to the front.
> Personally I welcome this as we can all stop talking about hype and start
> talking about real, sustainable businesses - don't know about anyone
else's
> thoughts on this?

Thinking about all the capital out there invested in dodgey ideas by people
who were not well advised; I wonder what kind of bad name start-ups are
going to get once bad ideas have to admit that they will make no money and
so are valueless?

In the current climate of IPO jitters, I would have thought that it would be
very difficult to sell an idea which did not show it could, in theory, make
profit within a couple of years - easy to talk about, much harder to do.

Trouble is those great big marketing budgets isn't it! How many sites
would be making money if they were able stop their marketing spend for a
month? Is the 'we don't make any money because we plough it all back into
the business and so make a loss on paper, but this will soon change' line
true?

I wonder

Chas

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com