Subject: Re: UKNM: "cybersquatter"
From: Tim.Hayward
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:34:59 +0100

I must confess that this whole area fascinates me too. There seem to be huge
numbers of people speculating in this area which seems legally 'grey'.

What happened to the notion of a whole raft of new suffixes?

Above all, what happened to that rather quaint notion of 'Old Nick'
Negroponte
in 'Being Digital' - the thought that users aren't really interested in
remembering a phone number when the technology exists to call by name?

What if my (new broadband speed) browser did a sort of 'Ask Jeeves' fuzzy
search
when I typed in the beginning of the name, flashing up full pages instead of
URL
suggestions under the location bar?

Is anyone doing any HCI work around the notion of losing the URL altogether?

Now that companies are falling over each other to disassociate themselves
with
the term .com, perhaps it's time to do a Lord Lucan.... make the Earl
disappear
(sorry - couldn't resist it).

What do we reckon?

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com