Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:59:29 +0100

>>Leaders in 1999 are likely to be Beeb, TescoNet, ft.com, Reed Business
>>Information (high-price niche industy info products), gameszone, and a few
>>others.
>
>Like, you mean beeb.com? You sure?

Nothing is sure, and I certainly don't suggest taking my opinion into
account. Work it out for youself...

Value is created by investment. BBC is investing in the product in a big way
(not necessarily efficiently) and making good use of established capital
assets in the form of brand names and intellectual property rights.

They are adding value to their TV and print offerings by way of original
content as well are reuse and adaption of content. They are one of the most
visited sites in the UK and already have extensive routes to world markets.

I didn't say I liked their site, I didn't say it was "kewl", I have no
opinion on such mundane matters as the niceness of Web sites. I said the BBC
would be one of the few market leaders in the UK based on an evaluation and
business analysis of their current actions.

I ought to charge for this opinion since it is the kind of opinion I would
charge for if asked for it by a consultancy client. But then again I have
not given you the figures to back it up so feel free to treat my views with
a pinch of salt.

>>This constant recycling of information that has characterised the early
>>years of the Web will not survive 1999.
>
>Errm, I'd ask PA/Reuters et al what they think of that.

I imagine PA and Reuters are taking/planning defensive actions again
competition for their business from (potential) lower-cost suppliers.
Lower-cost because of the low-cost nature of the delivery mechanism now
available (Internet). I would guess that they haven't entirely grasped the
scale of the threat yet.

Ray Taylor
Chief business analyst
NMC Market Forces (a division of NMC (UK) Ltd).