Subject: Re: UKNM: sticky portals
From: Daniel Bambach
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:46:14 +0100

>Ray said:
>
>Why not? Because this implies business partnership - something that the
>Internet is not yet famous for. Though I would never say it never will be.

I would be more inclined to say that the Internet -is- famed for its
business partnerships. Often in the guise of 'for the good of all' but in
reality much like any other domain, for the good of the involved. After all
what are standards about? The whole idea behind standards is that there is
a kind of glue in effect partnering all businesses that work the internet.

This is where a sticky portal could reside, sat squarely and firmly on
standards, so that update function you talk about should be available to
any content supplier, because were all a member of this partnership. I
beleive the last, and failed attempt at this was push. Now theres a dirty
word.

Daniel Bambach
mob: 0958 341 258
fax: 0181 588 3634