Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Lard
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:46:13 +0100

>In short, though the numbers are nice, I can't see it sustaining it's
>bruited position as a 'portal' - and if the beeb aren't doing it, who
>is?

Beeb.com's numbers are pretty lame.
from 3.5 million (real, Type A) pageviews in March to 4 million pageviews
in June... that's stagnation in the current marketplace...

in the same time period www.news.bbc.co.uk went from 8 million pageviews to
16 million... and www.bbc.co.uk went from 8 million to 12 million...
bearing in mind www.beeb.com gets a fair proportion of its traffic as click
thoughs from www.bbc.co.uk, this is doubly bad news...

if any site in the UK will make it to portal status (after Yahoo.co.uk ),
then it'll be www.bbc.co.uk - the new guy in charge at least knows his
stuff, even if he's going to have to win a mighty battle to produce some
decent content.

www.beeb.com is doomed - always has been from the moment Birt decided that
News Online had to remain public service.