Subject: Re: UKNM: Tell me it's not SPAM
From: Tim.Hayward
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 02:05:21 +0100

This is great stuff.

It's about time we took a closer look at this permission marketing crap.

When I visit a site and enter some detail in exchange for something am I
genuinely 'giving permission' - if so - what for?

How does the punter actually feel during this interaction?

a) Hmmmmm. Yes, I'd love to be kept up to date on the very latest
opportunities
to give my money to this company.

b) Oh fuck. These SpamMonkeys want my entire bloody CV and medical records
before they'll let me download the game/password/update.

And when, three days later, the interaction takes place that they've 'Given
Permission' for - how do they feel.

a) Hurrah! Hot news from my old friends at SpamMonkey.com(TM). I must send
them
money

b) Right click. Delete. Resent.

I just bought a new computer that came, supposedly, preinstalled with
Windows
98. By the time I'd installed an upgrade of IE, Netmeeting and Freeserve,
I'd
been forced to refuse at least 20 sets of 'Permission'. It took half a day
and
at the end of it I'd been forced to 'sign up' for a Hotmail account I'll
never
use, A Microsoft 'Passport', some kind of fucking MP3 jukebox that came with
the
Logitech keyboard software and a 'Club' for owners of Krittercams.

I know about audience acquisition and retention. I know that, if you have an
audience and can keep them you have something of value. The problem is that
just
capturing a name doesn't constitute a relationship. If I join a 'community'
I'm
engaged as long as the feedback is of value to me. UKNM is a good example.
If
the International Krittercam Owners Club can't think of anything better to
do
with their list than force me to join as a 'Benefit of registration' and
then
offer two pages of half baked ads for their other unrelated products.. why
the
Hell do they bother.

As a matter of fact the product is superb. I just wonder how such a bunch of
20
Watt Tossers managed to come up with something so cool while diligently
screwing
their image with poor marketing.

Permission is not a one off thing. It's the start of a relationship.

Would you like to go out for dinner? is a great way to start a relationship
but
the quality and length of it is dependent on continued satisfaction,
reviewed at
every encounter.

Will you agree to have dinner with me in the clear and certain knowledge
that
you'll have to spend the rest of your life with me while I become
progressively
more boring, useless, impotent, ugly and poor? ...wouldn't get you many
relationships.

Oh well...

Time for tea.

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036