Subject: Re: UKNM: Tell me it's not SPAM
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:27:37 +0100

Would that be anything like the 3% that complain to the offending
party's ISP, consumer watchdogs, industry fora, etc, resulting in a bulk
mailer being shut down and/or moved on. Sounds like a real productive
marketing campaign to me. Next you will be suggesting that we mine the
ORBs database to find a nice handy open mail relay to bounce our
pointless misdirected marketing messages through.

<RANT>
For me spam equates less with direct mail than with a situation where
someone you dont know constantly calls your telephone, reverses the
charges, and refuses to hang up until they have finished shouting at you
about their latest pyramid sales/get rich/stay young scheme. Far more
antisocial that a bit of dead tree to chuck away each morning.
</RANT>

Surely part of the opportunity offered by the net is the increased
personalisation and customisation of services and marketing, allowing
advertisers to treat their customers more accurately as individuals; to
get to know them a little - therefore the usefulness of bulk (in)direct
mail pales into insignificance next to the alternatives, some of which
have already been discussed on this list. There is a great deal of value
in maintaining a dialog with your customers or potential customers.
Mailshots just dont cut it for me.

A little imagination goes a very very long way... Cheers for inciting
the rant mark, nowt personal :)

--
sam carrington // senior web developer // sensei.co.uk

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036