Subject: RE: UKNM: Re: Mobile Commerce
From: Gary Pharo
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:11:03 +0100

IMHO, the main barriers to successful m-commerce are:

1. Low penetration of enabled devices.
2. Confusing and difficult to operate handsets (with the operators making
life even more difficult by trying to set up a closed network).
3. Speed.
4. Security.
5. The lack of available information, in an easy to read format - hence
point 1.
6. The cost (around 5p per minute).
7. The lack of available handsets.

Now this all seems rather reminiscent of the barriers to entry that stopped
people getting online (in the UK at least), 3 or 4 years ago.

In it's current format, WAP has little to offer, and is relatively
expensive. However, as the operating system moves to GPRS then UMTS - and
things like graphics, video and the colourful things that brighten our lives
become available at a decent speed - the take up should increase (again, not
unlike faster modems and Freeserve did for the industry as a whole).

And as a general comment, I can't believe that at least one of the leading
players (be that Vodafone or whoever) aren't looking to capitalise on their
ability to simply and efficiently bill the end user from micro-payments up.
Now that would be interesting huh - no need for a credit card, or any other
information - I just key in my phone number (or it gets recorded
automatically by some form of a cookie) and the charge appears on my phone
bill at the end of the month!! (and before you start.... you know that I am
not technically gifted enough to qualify this - but one thing I believe is
that there is a way)

Vodafone the new World Bank ?

Cheers
Gary

Gary Pharo
UK Sales Manager
www.commtouch.com
gary [dot] pharoatcommtouch [dot] com

The Worldwide Leader in Integrated Email and Messaging Outsourcing Services

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036