Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Mobile Commerce
From: Kief Morris
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:12:13 +0100

Anthony typed the following on 01:25 16/08/00 +0100
>Is WAP based on WML (simplied from XML) ?

No, WAP is a communications protocol, WML is a document formatting
language. Think of WAP as TCP or HTTP, and WML as HTML.

>Is i-Mode based on packets, so it's "always on" and hence cheaper ?

I don't know whether it's based on packets, but being based on
packets has *nothing* whatsoever to do with being always on
or cheaper.

>How will Bluetooth help with the bandwidth problem ?

Bluetooth is short-range wireless - e.g. your PDA to your PC. I don't think
there is any relationship in the way you mean.

>Can anyone
>enlighten me as to what will really be needed for a successful take-off ?
>Let's take a real-life scenario such as Mobile Banking which is very hot
in
>Europe at the moment.

It's needs a "Killer App" - a service that someone provides that people find
so compelling, they will buy new phones/PDA's. Bandwidth, colour, protocols,
document formats, and even usability are totally secondary to this.

Is mobile banking really all that compelling? How often do you need to check
your balance/make transactions in a situation where you can't take 15
minutes
to get to an ATM machine? I'm not saying that people wouldn't use mobile
banking if they had it at their fingertips, but I can't see it as a reason
for Joe
Blow to buy a new phone.

Mobile banking, mCommerce, and other mobile services will only take off when
someone provides an application which can only be done in a meaningful way
with a mobile device, and which is compelling to a large number of people.
This will fuel the adoption of the devices, which will allow other - less
compelling -
services to ride its coattails.

kief

The Wildest party on the Net is on!
http://www.Wild5.com

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036