Subject: Re: UKNM: line one
From: Tim Howard
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:41:48 GMT

Lois Grayson wrote:

> I think Sara's perspective is pretty accurate. It's true, I reckon, it's
> getting tougher all round. And the ISPs are beginning to struggle; last
year
> the iGroup (the eBusiness consultancy I worked with) calculated that the
> minimum regular user base an ISP needed to be 'real' and sustain a
business
> model was c250,00 - so when I was mailed an IPO for an ISP boasting an
> established base of just 140,000 last week the bin got a snack.

**I'd like to add to this that although there are a few 250,000 ISP's
out there, all new entrants to the market will need to rely upon the
systems and bandwidth of the IP backbone providers.
These are the guys making the real money - sod being an ISP, it's just
customer technical support and poxy mailbox administration.

You're right that Freeserve are going to the french, but let's not be
deluded here, the french (wanawhat.fr?!!) are likely to sell it to
Mannesmann or C&W or Global Crossing - telecomms has been going through
consolidation for a number of years, and will continue to do so for
years to come, 'cos let's face it who wants to run a network of dial-ups
and DSL's for the rest of their life. It's a case of build your database
and sell it b4 the network grinds to a halt.

Some facts:-
average customer retention within 12 months of merger/acquistion

> wait for it

45%.....

That's one hell of a blood letting, and that's the average !!!

Telecomms was a goldmine, back in the gold rush.