Subject: RE: UKNM: WAP Numbers
From: Jones, Matt
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:24:32 GMT

> Actually Betamax was a technically superior solution to VHS - VHS won
> the 'war' due to product uptake by manufacturers and good marketing.
> We might find WAP does the same thing. Superior product doesn't
> always mean vast consumer uptake (witness Mac/PC, VHS/Beta,
> N64/Playstation).

sorry james, but isn't that a red herring?

there was not a significant difference between the user experience of beta +
vhs... specifically access to the actual experience, whereafter, all other
things being equal if you like, the quality of the experience to price
point/content availablity became the issue.

with wap, there is such a BARRIER TO ENTRY to the experience of the
content/services to most people (including those who might be deemed expert
users, like m'self) that the relatively low-payback in benefit of the
content/services makes it a non-starter.

Some 'vertical' applications such as gaming or road-warrior productivity
where the userpaincost/benefit equation works out okay (and IMHO, some best
of breed at: http://www.supedo.co.uk/dhtml/, http://www.nervewireless.com,
respectively) might meet with success - but the massmarket take up that
silversurfer cellnet hype aimed to generate i think just won;t happen)

but that's a conversation that's happened a 1000 times on this list already.

/matt
http://www.metriuseurope.com
http://www.blackbeltjones.com

Email Disclaimer
The information in this email is confidential and is
intended solely for the address of Metrius Europe.

If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution is prohibited and
may be unlawful.