Subject: RE: UKNM: Advertising A Website?
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:36:02 GMT

Mark's right I think - depends on what you are selling, and to whom.

Does anyone have any real world examples of the effectiveness of on-pack URL
placement for retail items? Our latest site, for the new Thorntons children's
range, has the URL on the packaging of all the sweets. It will be interesting
to monitor how many visitors to the site come directly, rather than via a
search engine or directory. So far, the most popular referrer seems to be
Emap's "what's new" site (http://www.whatsnew.com), which I would thus highly
recommend, even if the site only stays there for a day or so. I think they had
the Thorntons site in the number 1 spot in the kids section, which may keep it
visible for a bit longer (although it has already slipped to about number 50 in
the space of a week!).

Incidentally, the biggest rise in hits to one of our sites ever came from a
link from Microsoft's site, when they picked up on it and placed it in a news
item (if I recall correctly). Not even sure how they got hold of that one, so
the price was right!

Regards

Robin

--