Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Re: Journo looking for rentaquotes, or even seriouscomment
From: Peter Borg \(UKNM\)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:56:05 -0000

Ray Taylor said:

> Ashley Pomeroy <arpattermisoc [dot] org> said:
>
> > ...television has a bigger reach. Every single human being who has money
>
> Or so the TV business would have you think.
[SNIP]
> A single telephone call to a single web content provider - say
> Yahoo - would
> allow me to place an ad that would be seen by over 100 million people
> throughout the world. The cost would be in the low millions of $s.

Except that it's not targeted, or at least nowhere near as targeted as
selecting a television slot.

> Am I wrong? Or am I the only person in this group who stands up for our
> industry?

I don't believe the Internet is dead, nor do I believe that online
marketing doesn't work - this includes banner ads.

If properly targeted and designed online advertising, including banner
ads, can be extremely effective, certainly higher than current averages
for those areas. This costs more than placing a simple banner add, but
then the ROI can be much higher if it's well designed and targeted.

A more accurate way of looking at it would be to ask whether the ROI
for online advertising is higher, lower or about the same as the ROI
for television advertising. After all, it's all about the money,
right?

Peter.