Subject: Re: UKNM: Phew what a week!
From: Martin Phillips
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:08:23 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: James Bruce <jamesatwebweaver [dot] uk [dot] com>
To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
Sent: 14 January 2000 15:43
Subject: UKNM: Phew what a week!

> AOL/Time Warner get into bed, Bill Gates moves sideways. What does this all
> mean for the future of our bread and butter :-)
>
> Early thoughts:
> 1. Smaller eComm sites and brands without the critical mass to partner with
> the new super portal and emerging vortals will be left with little exposure
> as the AOL leviathan sucks in late internet entrants into its cosy new
> world.

Hm. That may be true in the USA, but how many users do AOL have in UK
and Europe. AOL have been left behind in the UK by the better offers
of Freeserve et al. And I'd say that the phone companies and Web TV
companies will be the key. They'll be the ones who can offer an easy web
access at best prices, because they control the access costs ( my own home
service is through my cable tv company - no service charge , and 1p
per minute call charges, day or night).

They'll also be able to offer it to everyone, whereas there's a
natural limit to those who want to use PCs for access.

I expect your employer (BT) to become the major force, as they offer
everyone
access to cable tv and the web down their phone-lines.