Subject: Re: UKNM: Newspapers shaft dot-coms big time
From: Speechrad
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:37:58 GMT

In a message dated 22/01/00 19:47:28 GMT Standard Time, rayateyeconomy [dot] com
writes:

<< Media Week, Jan 21, front page, by Amy Vickers: "Agency chiefs say dotcom
clients are being charged up to 50% more for slots, claiming that Associated
Newspapers, The Guardian, The Times, The Express and Financial Times have
all inflated their prices." >>
Anyone got the email address for that e-envoy bloke ? If so, how about
forwarding this to him.

Been, there, seen that. Sad to say this is not the first time the IT
industry has been stabbed in the back by the press and the 'communications
establishment' such as exhibition organisers.
In the 80's the Which? Computer show was a really effective and useful show,
filling 4 Halls at the NEC at a time when 'computer companies' were seen as
goldmines. The cost of exhbiting was around 235 gbp per sq m. The rate
charged for a craft fair filling 4 halls at the same time was 150 gbp. I was
told that similar rates applied to most non IT exhibitions and that the
London price differentials were similar.
At the same time, the mainly London based IT press, it appeared to me, rarely
had a good word to say about this Birmingham based show, strangely the London
shows, with which their companies were often associated, seemed to me to get
pretty favourable coverage.
By the end of the 80's Which had shrunk to less than one hall and finally
died.
Many smaller (start up) companies were unable to meet the cost of high
exhibition charges and the higher cost of staying in London. The end result?
Little choice and Bill and a few other mainly foreign companies now influence
the whole IT world.

These attitudes need to be highlighted and changed -
The Net is *not* geographical and the London-centric press and finance
establishments need to show more interest in companies outside London.
Everyone I met at last year's e-commerce exhibition at the NEC said it was
successful. The recent NorthofWatford (free) events in Birmingham have been
extremely useful. Let's keep them going as well as the London exhibitions.
VC's and press get yourselves to events like NorthofWatfortd.com outside
London, as well as to First Tuesday.
Fair trade and fair competition policies should start at home. Instead of
signing up to world trade deals that are led by the likes of GM companies
seeking to force their unwanted products onto the supermarket shelves of
other countries, our *representatives* should be making sure vested interests
don't kill e-commerce off.

Message to Tony: Spend less time finding test sites for unwanted Monsanto
field trials and more time pointing out to your friends in the press that
they should give UK e-commerce companies a fair break!

Michael
www.speechradio.com
www.northofwatford.com