Subject: Re: UKNM: Newspapers shaft dot-coms big time
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:15:17 GMT

Ian Betteridge <ianbatwell [dot] com> said:

> > And if there really is a newspaper agreement keeping media prices high
(as
> > opposed to use of the term 'cartel' merely for journalistic effect)
then the
> > parties to the price agreement are breaking the law.
>
> Don't be ludicrous. As others have explained in depth here, there's a
> limited amount of colour space in papers - and, pre-Christmas, it's in
> great demand. Hence, the price goes up.

I don't know if there is or there isn't a cartel. I didn't write the
article. I suspect there isn't, but stranger things have happened.

> > But if nothing else, it gives me another good reason to advise clients
> > against spending too much money on ink and paper.
>
> Why, because it's effective?

All advertising is effective if you do it right. We seldom advise against
using any medium, rather to use all appropriate media wisely. Generally
speaking, print is more effective than broadcast at, eg, traffic building,
because the audience does not have to remember the url
www.yetanotherdotcomlaunch.com. But then again, you don't need much space
(the charging basis for most print ads) to tell someone a URL and get them
to go there.

Probably the most effective (I have no evidence) newspaper ads for a dot-com
are Schwab's letter box ads in the FT shares listings. At high cost, but
justified by the position. Don't know if Schwab pays more than Rockwell or
Epson, but the presence of a couple of fillers in today's issue suggests
that they have plenty of spare slots at the moment - hope Schwab's and and
Stocktrade's agencies spot that.

But the best advice for a multi-media approach is to integrate the message
across all media in use. TV can be effective if you use the right agency,
and work within the rules (noting, eg, the cancellation costs as pointed out
by Mike). But in most cases the air time costs will be wasted if you do not
have banner ads running at the same time. This is simply because the high
volume of dot.com clutter works against the "brand-building benefits" of TV.
If you run a good TV campaign at the same time as a good banner campaign,
the message, having sunk in from the TV ad, will be reinforced by the banner
ad whilst providing an immediate response mechanism (click here).

Even if the TV campaign is about "brand building" you should still back it
up with a direct response mechanism. AOL, for instance, is sending out lots
of CDs to back up its current TV campaign. But then, as an online service
they are in part aiming at a not-yet-used-the-internet audience.

If you are advertising a new shopping portal, the bulk of your audience will
already be using the internet, hence you can use the internet for direct
response to a TV "branding campaign", to reinforce the broadcast, print,
outdoor/ambient, direct mail message, to provide a mechanism for building
brand, traffic and sales, etc., etc.

Ad sales people and old-media agencies can jostle for budget as much as they
like. The key to a successful campaign is integration. The first rule is to
ensure that you buy all media effectively.

Ray Taylor
eyeconomy +44 020 8249 6313