Subject: Re: UKNM: Wacky names
From: ben
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:31:19 +0100

Sam,

You also have to remember that none of the new online banks (apart from
smile) are carbon copies of high street banks. All are trying to be
different by offsetting money in one account against a loan or debt held
elsewhere in that bank. Its not traditional banking and as such no one knows
if

1) it will work,
2) be profitable
3) attract enough customers for 1 and 2 to be tested in the first place.

As such a wacky name probably helps as interested people will at least
remember the name between the telly or paper and the computer screen.

Also there was a time when barclays was a weird name (Beamish now has a
circa 1913 bank. On the wall is listed what barclays bank previously was (3
different bank partnerships all with multiply names and all bastions of
their community)). And with every other possibility gone wacky names are the
only option (well until .banc anyway).

As to what I use:-

Well we have a Lloyds current account (freeish travel insurance), bank at
post office.
Main current account is Smile (works on Unix unlike Lloyds), bank at post
office.
Credit Card from Cahoot (0% interest for one year. Thanks very much). If I
didn't already have the Smile account we would probably bank here (bank at
post office).

Oh and Ray I agree. Received a letter today from Co-op bank asking if I
wanted a loan (looking at the bank balance would have saved them a stamp).
Tho, as most american banks only do basic banking (charging for cheque books
and stuff) I doubt they would give you the deals Cahoot and so do overall
(depending on how you bank of course).

Ben
---
Yes I did disappear (London followed by office hunting. (still office
hunting, having lost a month being messed around by an agent. If anyone
knows anywhere available in Newcastle, help)). (and, I would reply to Damien
on bepaid but its old news).

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:10:27AM +0100, Sam Michel wrote:
> Mornin' all...
>
> Listening to BBC Radio 5 'Live' the other day, they had one of their
> business pundits chatting about the (now delayed) launch of the Halifax's
> IF (Intelligent Finance) new online bank...i.e. their version of Egg.
>
> The pundit made a couple of interesting points, which it would be
> interesting to get your opinions on:
>
> 1. these 'wacky' names will quickly go out of fashion
> 2. it's a lot easier and cheaper for banks to create a new 'wacky' image
> and launch it without having to change the image of their existing brand
> 3. if it all goes pear-shaped, it's a lot easier to dump the new 'wacky'
> brand
>
> Me? I'm with First Direct, which isn't exactly wacky, but it is an
> off-shoot of a major banking group. Are the banks doing the right thing?
It

--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the company.
But as I own it I would imagine that it will eventually prevail.