Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Banner fixation
From: John Hale
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:54:41 GMT

> From: Anthony Appleby
> ATL Strategic Communications Ltd, Web site promotion
> email: aaaatatl [dot] uk [dot] com
>
> Banner fixation
>
> In order to provoke more discussion about the effectiveness of these
> other methods I'd like to ask what success any of you have had with
> search engine placement, sponsorship or affiliate programs. It'd be
> nice to compare (even roughly) the effectiveness of banner
> advertising against other methods.
>
> Anthony Appleby
> Web Site promotion
> aaaatatl [dot] uk [dot] com

Just read "Striking It Rich.com - Profiles of 23 incredibly successful
websites you've probably never heard of". One thing most of the sites
(which are all small/medium sized) had in common was that banner ads
*didn't* work for them on a cost/sale basis. More effective were reciprocal
links and effective registration with search engines.

This ignores branding issues though...
--
John Hale
jhaleatredkite [dot] com