Subject: RE: UKNM: who's updating what and how ??
From: Tarnya Norse
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:00:10 +0100

mmmm yes - let's not get hung up on press releases .....

Content Management is about getting people to collaborate on the management
of all aspects of a site - the content (text, graphics, multimedia, applets,
code etc..)

the structure and the look and feel. There needs to be well defined roles
and business processes i place to enable this, together with a solid technology architecture to
support the site/s as they
grow.

CM is a fundamental business requirement and foundation - the web is just
the first of many digital channels we also need to look at making this content available to
ATM's, kiosks, call centres and other. By centrally managing content it can be pushed out to different
mediums. These different delivery mediums/technologies will come and go but the
content will always remain of value (it's a business asset)and will need even more sophisticated
management.

I'm unsure if as an industry we're still hung up on thinking that we 'build'
a site, it goes live ,it gets updated and then six months down the line clients have to spend
another big chunk of money on re-design, re-structure and re-build??? For the web agency surely this is just one long
maintenance headache - where you end up wondering what your core business is....?!

It's not a long term solution, it's expensive and it's technically complex.

CM is not about building a database and some templates for authors to use -
it's about understanding business needs, processes and finding a business application to support this.

Which leads me onto the issue of build or buy ???- how many agencies are
still developing and building bespoke 'web publishing' systems for clients - as opposed to working with content
management, personalisation and ecommerce software vendors to implement???

I know that this is a 'marketing' list & this discussion is not about
technology - it's intended to get some debate and conversation going about us all working a bit smarter
and providing clients with a longer term solution that will scale as requirements change.
So what do we all think???

Tarnya Norse
VP Channel Development - Europe
http://www.mediasurface.com
MEDIASURFACE 2.0: ENTERPRISE CONTENT MANAGEMENT
Tel: 0171 967 9002
Mobile:0402 046708