Subject: RE: UKNM: who's updating what and how ??
From: Jim Sterne
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:45:10 +0100

At 07:03 AM 5/11/99 , Bunder, Leslie wrote:

>So you've seen it on TV, maybe seen something in the paper or heard it
>on the radio and you go to the Web site to get full details but there is
>nothing there!

Turns out TV is one of the best ways (all be it expensive)
of getting people to your site.

I rememeber seeing an ad in a magazine for a Panasonic
printer/scanner/fax and I went to the Web site and found
zilch. So I called the list number and asked about their
new XYZ model printer. "We don't have a model number like
that...?" was the answer.

So I pressed to talk to the printer division product
manager. "In *what* magazine?!? That wasn't supposed
to go out for another 3 weeks!!"

The point: get your ducks in a row BEFORE announcing
anything. This is called Marketing 101.

Sheesh!

>Why should there be time delays. Why accept time delays. It it is
>annouced on TV and radio then within reason it can be annouced at the
>same time on the Web....

Beg to differ. Don't 'announce' it on your Web site. Build
a comprehensive set of pages *before* you announce it anywhere.
The Web is a great marketing medium for education - much better
than a broadcast medium for getting attention.

>The Web can serve as a total enhancement to what is on TV or heard on
>the radio it can act as a very useful archieve and resource when the
>consumer/customer needs that information when it suits them.

'Zactly!!

>Anyway, over to Tarnya!

Content management question for all and looking for an
answer from Tarnya:

Is anybody worrying about Web site archiving? Software developers
call it "configuration management." It means that we, as creators
of electronic 'offers,' must perform due diligence to save our Web
sites in their various states even as they constantly change.

Your Honor, I submit to the Bench that Company.co.uk did
on and about 10 AM on the morning of the 23rd of April, host
a page that offered a free manicure with every scalp massage,
yet they refused to honor that offer on the afternoon of the
12th of May even though here was no expiration date mentioned
on that page.

Your Honor, we did no such thing!

Well, WebmasteratCompany [dot] co [dot] uk - can you show us your archive
to confirm or deny this claim?

Uhm, well, you see You Honor, a Web site is a mercurial medium -
constantly changing and hard to capture and...

Bailiff! Whack his pee-pee!