Subject: Re: UKNM: The Digital Heroes of Hypocrisy
From: Phil Gyford
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:18:01 +0000 (GMT)

At 16:35 05/11/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Errr, this is a discussion list about marketing isn't it? I'd like to
think of all subscribers as stakeholders in the list and I hope you approve
of the very light sponsorship of the list. I do find it a bit strange that
you'd think sponsorship would affect the editorial stance on the list i.e.
super-minimal. Does this mean when NMA sponsor their chats every Fri, you
expect the guests to tell you how great NMA is, and agree strongly with
everything Mike and the crazy gang at NMA say? Don't think so.

Very different things Sam. NMA is a publication with an editorial integrity
to uphold. This is a mailing list which exists solely due to those
contributing to it - it doesn't have an 'editorial stance'.

It's also a difference in medium. Visiting a Website is more like reading a
magazine, or watching TV and we're used to that containing advertising.
Email is more personal and people don't see that it needs sponsorship
because email seems free the rest of the time.

I'm not arguing that this sponsorship is wrong, just that the comparison
doesn't really hold up.

Phil Gyford

http://www.gyford.com / philatgyford [dot] com
h:0171.622.9058 / w:0171.766.6491 / m:0850.958.299
Deputy Editor, Capital Interactive / http://capitalinteractive.com