Subject: Re[2]: UKNM: online ad tolerance collapsing
From: Geoffrey Inns
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:15:22 +0000 (GMT)

Maybe a lot of online advertisers are in that in-between stage, from accepting
the medium to using it in its proper fashion i.e. within individual contexts.
We have advertisers such as BT on our sites whose banners are the same for every
site they advertise on, regardless of content. You know that I am now going to
advocate individual tailoring of banner creative and that there are high costs
associated with this. But we consistently achieve double figure CTRs with
banners that have been tailored to our sites.

Perhaps the problem is that not enough banner creation means that banner
production prices are too high; lots more banners being produced should mean
that production prices are driven down and therefore allow a lot more tailoring.
When we recently put out a tender for banner production the replies ranged from
�200 to �1000 - all for the same sort of simple GIF; no java, no Enliven. We
talk about standards a lot of the time (and, as Ross of BMP quite rightly says,
how to change them again!) and I think real progress is being made in this area
and due credit to the IAB for a major role in this; now perhaps it is time for
production houses (and everyone else along the line who has a markup) to allow
the advertising clients to implement tailored banner campaigns.

Admittedly a whole lot of sales people out there are going to have to learn
about the attitudes of the visitors to their sites as well as their demographics
but that's no bad thing.

I realise that this would probably hasten the acquisition/going bust nature of
the production business but we must fully explore the possibilities the banner
can offer us before writing it off completely. To start all over again with a
brand new set of standards would probably be more laboursome than rewarding.

I believe this to be a separate issue from sponsorships, rich media, navihedrons
etc. By offering a segmented, modular advertising model to clients/agencies all
concerned find it easier to understand, just as many agencies divide the web

into search/communities/content producers.