Subject: Re: UKNM: Brand-building banners
From: Zing!n Diary
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:01:39 GMT

Interesting.

Many years ago (actually, about 6 months ago but it seems like years) I
wrote a post/rant on Revolution's Wall saying something similar following an
article in the magazine which claimed that banner ads didn`t work because
no-one clicked on them.

The post has long since vanished so I can't remember exactly what I said but
the gist was that click throughs were a ridiculous way to measure the
success of banner campaigns.

Imagine you were running an ad in a cinema. Would you consider it a failure
if no-one got up from their seat and immediately went to buy your product?
No you wouldn`t.

People who visit a site probably have a pretty good reason for being there.
Unless they've finished doing what they are doing they are not going to
leave no matter how good the banner is.

Banner ads can have great results in terms of raising brand awareness if
they're done right. I bought a Mach III razor the other month as a direct
result of seeing a Gillette banner but I didn`t click on the banner because
I was busy doing something else at the time.

Of course, this is all great news for the pay-per-click and affiliate banner
folk but not so good for site owners who are watching their banner rates
sink through the floor. We're lucky to have other revenue streams on Zingin
(our books, rebranded content etc) so advertising revenue is something of an
added bonus but I`m sure there are going to be plenty of other content sites
who will go to the wall simply because their space is under-valued.

Unless, of course, enough advertisers read the Iconocast article.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Paul

==

Paul Carr
Managing Editor

Zingin.com - The UK's finest internet guide.
http://www.zingin.com

Zingin Mail - FREE from http://www.zingin.com
Making the web worth surfing.