Subject: UKNM: Easynet Advert
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:34:34 +0100

I was on the Heathrow Express the other day (as you do) and they have
these way-cool flat-screen TV's on the train that show
horrible-looking compressed digital videos*. As well as a gentle
introduction to Heathrow Express from a Harriet Harman lookalike, they
also show adverts. One was for...Easynet!

Hello, I thought to myself. Internet must be becoming a serious
industry sector if Easynet are lavishing money on advertising of this
sort - it had high production values IMHO. It's a little hard to
describe an advert to you that I've only seen once (those reviewers at
Campaign get a handy showreel, which helps) but it didn't strike me as
particularly effective.

Basically, it was lots of nice graphics accompanying key phrases like
'firewall' or whatever, with soothing music and a soothing voiceover.
In the genre of adverts for an airlines' new Business Class offering,
in other words.

Now I ain't a planner (yet), but to me an advert of that kind
can/should do four things.

1. It can be an exercise in brand-building - people watch this thing
enough times and start to associate Easynet with ISP in the same way
that people might associate IBM with e-business or Hoover with vacuum
cleaners. Orange were considered underdogs when they came to market,
but succeeded through great branding amongst other things.

2. It addresses a sector of the audience who think that ISP is an
enzyme essential to health. In simple terms, it delineates the nature
of the Internet and it's benefits and advantages - and glosses over
the cost, if possible. BT's 'Why?' campaign that touted ISDN as a
teleworking solution was IMHO a good example of this. You know, the TV
advert with the forest and the little girl bleating 'Why?' a lot.

3. It flogs tenner-a-month accounts to people who are cheesed off with
BT/Demon/Freeserve/Dircon/Virgin.Net/etc. I doubt this is worth doing
for economic reasons ie there's not that much money in that market
yet, surely?

4. It addresses the audience who not only know what an ISP is, but
control buying for large companies and will want to know where the
value-add is in the offering: 'What do Easynet do
better/cheaper/faster that the competition?'

Personally, I think the advert succeeds in addressing point 1 to some
extent - but I haven't seen their campaign anywhere else, on TV, in
print or on the Web.

Anyone from Easynet care to illuminate us as to what they are up to?
Also, would anyone care to speculate as to whether consumer Internet
is getting to the stage where it is going to be mass-marketed via TV

etc?

Sajid Mohammed

*For those that care (multimedia types): the reason (I think) it
looked so bad was that it used a fixed 256 colour palette. The end
result being that flat areas of colour looked fine, but people's faces
looked terrible - the video codec itself wasn't bad at all. Having
said that, there was a whopping 15 minutes of FMV and the sound was
crystal-clear, so I guess the trade-off was poor colour.