Subject: UKNM: Fresh topic: the first interactive tv ad
From: Morgan Davies
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:16:01 +0100

Hi

My name is Morgan Davies, a final year multimedia design student at
DeMontfort University, currently undertaking research in the field of
digital television, specifically the development of television�s first
interactive advert. I�m sure you are aware of the recent developments
in digital tv, and possibly SkyDigital�s intention to incorperate
interactivity into their programmes early next year. However, I am
interested in how this new feature of TV is not only applicable to
digital television programmes but also to commercials. The purpose of
this email is to ask if you could spare a whatever time you can to
answer a couple of questions on this topic.

What would be the ideal content for an interactive advert? Purely a
form of interactive information, or perhaps a system where the viewer
can purchase there and then (remembering that the viewers digital TV
provider will have all their details, including credit cards).

As this new advertising format gets of the ground, which it will, the
costs of creating a commercial will undoubtedly rise. Do you feel that
companies will be prepared to pay for what could be a much more
effective advert. Furthermore, do you feel the incorporation of
interactivity will increase the success of a commercial (just as
interactivity has enhanced children�s learning by making the subject
matter more memorable).

What are the considerations, from a advertising point of view, when
deciding on the content for an interactive commercial? If you could
develop TV�s first interactive advert what would you put in it, and why?

If you haven�t the time to go into details, I would greatly appreciate
any pointers to people you feel would like to discuss this further.

Also, once my project is complete it will be published on the Internet,
where I would welcome you to view it. If you let me know I will kindly
inform you of the address once the site is live.

Kind Regards,

Morgan Davies