Subject: RE: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Nick Sweeney
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:59:30 +0100

> >I am therefore wondering if it would be possible for individuals to
> >acquire chartered web professional status. This might then act as the
> >guarantee we are looking for, but on an individual level.
>
> Chartered Status? good idea, but the success of it relies on the
> certificating authority being trustworthy.

I really take issue here. As Robin implies, there are as many dodgy
certificating authorities as there are decent ones, and my experience of
such professional bodies has always left me wondering just what they were
there for, beyond the distribution of "letters after your name" and social
functions. And since these organisations need to charge for membership,
their blessing always comes with an implicit note of caution.

> The Association of Internet Professionals (http://www.association.org/ - an
> international organisation of which I'm an elected Director of) is currently
> working on a certification program which take the approach of certifying
> third parties certification schemes, rather than offering certification
> direct to individuals (hmm - did I use the word certification enough in that
> sentence?). I'll let you know once I have the full details - as you might
> imagine, this is a delicate and controversial issue, so we are moving fairly
> slowly to make sure we get things right. If you would like to contribute to
> the process, join up and get involved!

Peer review for third parties seems like a better approach than direct
application: it'll be interesting when the full details emerge.
Still, I can't help thinking that in this business, you're as good as your
last site, and that's what gets you noticed. And given the caballerie of
london.new.media, that's what will get you work.

Nick