Subject: RE: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Robin Grant
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:15:58 +0100

Hmmm

>I am therefore wondering if it would be possible for individuals to
>acquire chartered web professional status. This might then act as the
>guarantee we are looking for, but on an individual level.

Chartered Status? good idea, but the success of it relies on the
certificating authority being trustworthy.

The Association of Internet Professionals (http://www.association.org/ - an
international organisation of which I'm an elected Director of) is currently
working on a certification program which take the approach of certifying
third parties certification schemes, rather than offering certification
direct to individuals (hmm - did I use the word certification enough in that
sentence?). I'll let you know once I have the full details - as you might
imagine, this is a delicate and controversial issue, so we are moving fairly
slowly to make sure we get things right. If you would like to contribute to
the process, join up and get involved!

We are also working on a "letters after you name" approach, which we hope to
roll out in a shorter timescale (very similar to the way you can put MBCS
after your name if you are a member of the British Computer Society etc...).
Not that I can see myself ever wanting to do so personally.

Going back to the sheriff part of 'Half of UK sites are "broken"', it is a
tricky issue - on the one hand it would be nice to stop fly by night cowboy
operations tarring the good name of the rest of the industry, on the other
hand any sort of "guild" approach might become dangerously cartel like (and
bureaucratic).

I think there is a strong need for industry associations in our sector - to
fulfil a variety of roles (but perhaps not that of sheriff). Have a look at

http://www.bristol.net/_/links.htm (scroll down past the local links) for a
fairly comprehensive list of such bodies. Obviously I'd also urge you all to
take a look at http://www.assocaition.org/ and consider joining (please
forgive the state of the website - built by volunteers, a new one coming
soon courtesy of the kindness of Sapient/Studio Archetype) - we are
currently as close as it gets to a recognised body for our industry

cheers

Robin

p.s. note the new sig...

Robin Grant, Producer, Clarity Communications
1 Long Lane, London, UK, EC1A 9HA - http://www.marketing.co.uk/
phone: +44 171 397 2919, fax: +44 171 397 2939, mobile: +44 973 638 390
email: robinatperfect [dot] co [dot] uk, icq: 362763, www: http://www.perfect.co.uk/
Director http://www.association.org/