Subject: Re: UKNM: Free vs paid for ISPs
From: carlo andrea pattacini
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:57:08 +0100

I think that Jim's opinion really hit the target: the
ISP gives you something free and you give him
PERMISSION (I think on the web thisi is the real
keyword) to collect information about your habits.

I read an illuminating piece on Fast Company
(www.fastcompany:com, then look for the archive)
about permission marketing: it was an interview with
Seth Godin, the founder of YoYoDyne where everything
was about getting permission from visitor, and you
get permission (to get information, to send mail,
etc.) only if you give something in change.

So giving free access (if you are an internet
provider), or giving free information (if you are a
portal site) is a way to obtain something from the
user.

bye, andrea

>--Jim Sterne <jsterneattargeting [dot] com> wrote:
>
> At 01:33 AM 10/15/98 , Steve Bowbrick wrote:
>
> The question was whether punters on a free service
> are worth more or less than those on a paid ISP.
>
> >This is silly. It's a matter of habit. We're
accustomed to paying for
> >access so it will take a while for free to become
the norm. However, once
> >it does, captains of industry will be lining up
alongside yoof and grannies
> >for the free stuff
>
> You're right, Corporal, but there's another reason
this
> discussion falls into the silly bin. "Free" means
that
> I filled out a form. "Free" means the ISP knows a
lot