Subject: Re: UKNM: AdFilter - The death of ad-banners?
From: Tom Hukins
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:57:19 +0100

Philip Rooke wrote:
>As you cruise around the Internet viewing web pages, ADfilter works in
>the background, intelligently removing advertisements, pop-up windows
>and other items that slow down your experience - saving your valuable
>time, money and sanity!" From www.adfilter.com
>
>Personally I don't believe that users are concerned by banners. In
>fact, as with magazines and TV, users probably see adverts as a part of
>the content.

This has already been discussed on this list about a year ago, and on the
excellent I-Advertising list <http://www.internetadvertising.org/> a couple
of times.

Having considered lots of peoples' opinions, my conclusion is that software
like this isn't worth worrying about. Such software has been around for
well over a year, yet its use is far from widespread. Furthermore, if
people really want to avoid ads that much, is it worth forcing your ads on
them?

Anyway, it's well worth taking a look at the relevant list archives if
you're interested in this topic - especially the more recent I-Advertising
thread.

Regards,
Tom

--
Learn how to create amazing web sites
Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources