Subject: Re: UKNM: Free vs paid for ISPs
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:27:42 +0100

Ray Taylor wrote:

I'll re-include the preceding message so that it becomes clear again
what we were talking about:

>>This is silly. It's a matter of habit. We're accustomed to paying for
>>access so it will take a while for free to become the norm. However, once
>>it does, captains of industry will be lining up alongside yoof and grannies
>>for the free stuff (which, as I keep saying, isn't actually free anyway -
>>just metered differently)

>Why should free become the norm? Will big companies get free access to the
>net for all their employees or will it just be home access? Will home/office
>users want free access or fast access? Walking is free, but most people
>travel by public transport (expensive) or car if they can (even more
>expensive) so why presume the only benefit consumers are looking for is low
>price or no price?
>
>you answered your own question
>
>home access=56K=slow but cheap
>corporate access=~T1= fast but expensive.
>
>so simple, a child could understand it.

Yes. I thought so. A discussion of the cost of corporate access vs. home
access.

>Will big companies get free access to the net for all their employees or will it
> just be home access?

> I only wish I was that clever. You mean people surfin from one of 1,000
> connections on their corporate LAN get fast access? And people using the net
> from home don't want fast access or good service? I won't ask you to explain
> that further because I doubt I would be able to grasp the concepts.

I neither said nor implied either of those things, so you're probably
right.

> I'm going to have to get a grown up to help me review our online advertising
> strategy. Until then, I think we will have to stick to my original plan on
> this one and that is - it's not an issue of paid v free, or fast modem v
> slow modem, but who v who.
>
> If and when the free services come up with some demographics, I'll look at
> them. No reason why they should, paid-for ISPs don't have any.
>
> Master Silly Billy (Age 8.75)
> NMC/Adplan Corporate Kindergarten
> 0181 639 0015

I can tell I've hit a nerve. Am I going to get an off-list torrent of
abuse, or do you only do those for female members?

Stefxxx

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski m 0370 67 70 58