Subject: Re: UKNM: Online Media Buying/Selling..end of the personal touch?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:12:31 +0100

Sam Michel <samatchinwag [dot] com> wrote:

>It makes me think of conversations I had with colleagues about how buying
>and selling media online could be totally automated _in theory_. Has anyone
>come across any automated banner sales technology? Is it feasible?

I, for one, would be all in favour of using more tools to aid the buying
process. But since many sites still don't put their rates and data online, I
think we are looking a long way down the line.

When "buying" media, most of my time is spent working out what's on offer,
what the best form of targeting is, and negotiating rates. But organising
things like creative delivery and account payments takes an awful lot of
time too. Can't see tools helping this side (accounts) much, unless they are
offered by the banks (some hope!).

There is also the question of setting up what can be complicated ad server
parameters. In theory you can book DoubleClick inventory online, but in
practice it is handled by their sales people.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan
We plan and buy online media for agencies and advertisers
0181 639 0015