Subject: Re: UKNM: Register Domain Names for FREE - was New subject - Can
From: Justine Jones
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:14:55 +0100

> Of course, you could register domain names for free, and you have been able
> to for a few months now at www.register.com
> register.com do not charge *any* registration fee - the only charge will
> come from the domain name registry services - e.g. Internic or Nominet

This, of course, is not true Carl. It's just a marketing ploy like
all the rest. Of course you are paying a registration fee on top of
the Internic or Nominet fee. Register.com say that the Nominet
fee is UKP 94 (which I presume is the standard public rate for a .uk
domain name, ie UKP 80 plus VAT). As a member of Nominet,
Register.com get the domain name for UKP 20 plus VAT so they are
making a UKP 60 profit and are, therefore, charging a registration
fee. If it was truly 'free' it would be UKP 20 plus VAT and nothing
more. But of course Nominet would never allow that <g>

Regards

Justine Jones
AdWeb
justineatadweb [dot] co [dot] uk