Subject: RE: UKNM: are .com domains necessary for startups?
From: Ben Hunt
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:53:46 +0100

Tim's more or less right. Most people have forgotten the original list of
TLDs (top-level domains).

They are:
.com (for a commercial enterprise)
.net (for an *Internet business*, i.e. where your business is *about* the
net (like an ISP) - *NOT* that it *uses* the net, because
EVERY F*%�+NG DOMAIN NAME BELONGS TO A F*%�+NG COMPANY THAT
COMMUNICATES VIA THE F*%�+NG NET
.org (for a non-profitmaking organisation: charities, political parties,
religious groups, loonies)
.edu (educational establishments)
.mil (military)
.int (I'm informed - for international businesses!? Very very rare)

On top of that you get your national ones, your .co.uk .ac.uk .it .com.au
.ca .de etc. etc. (And no, you can't register mycompany.etc!)

(So the practise of bagging as many different TLDs as you can is a bit
arse-about-tit cos it makes a mockery of the system).

The rule of thumb when registering domains has been for a few years now to
bag the .com if at all possible. Why? What do you first try when you're
searching for a company on the web? Generally, I'll put in
www.davesparts.com, even if Dave's Parts is a UK firm. Quite often I'll try
.com first even if the site isn't commercial. Don't know why I do, I guess
it's trial and error (increasing returns taking hold - the more people covet
.com, the more sites go .com first, the more often I get what I want by
trying .com, the more often I try .com first).

Obviously get the .co.uk to cover your back if you're exclusively a
uk-active company, or if you want to differentiate your site from a .com
equivalent.

I don't try .net, and in fact I don't remember .net domains. I see them as
weak, especially now that their meaning is degraded. Freeserve changed its
TLD from .net to .com as part of its recent brand review.

I'd be interested to hear what other subscribers subconsciously tap in, and
what the general perception is of different TLDs.

: )B

Ben Hunt
Producer
Poulternet