Subject: UKNM: RE: University v. Drop Outs
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:17:36 +0100

I should have realised that the talk was an 'urban myth' - Doh! I didn't
have time, unfortunately, to check. I guess I am too trusting, whoever the
original poster was - you should be ashamed of yourself - let's 'keep it
real' (whatever that means!).

It was really a knock on effect of watching poor 'ol 'Freshminds' getting
such grief from the PC-lobby of 'Elitism' snipers. Sure - university isn't
everything and success comes to those with the right skills and who want
that kind of success really badly.... but, hey, he is offering a service
and, as long as we all realise that THE INTERVIEW is as important as the
BACKGROUND in selecting a candidate then it should be something that could
work (so the ol' 'but what if they're really clever.. but... uh... not that
talkative and... er have no social skills and ... ' candidate should be
weeded out by a good interview process). I would be against ONLY using
Freshminds as, which many of you have said, it is too restrictive and some
people are lucky enough to have got a first from the 'University of Life'.

Regarding Uni drop outs. I must admit of the friends of mine that have
dropped out they seem far happier than they ever were at Uni and are all
doing well in whatever they had chosen to do. Difficulty is ever knowing
what would have been if they had stayed - I found that Uni developed my
logical, analytical and creative skills significantly - I believe that,
although I don't use the information that I learned there, the skills are
valuable.

However one man's drink is another man's poison.

JB