Subject: RE: UKNM: Online marketing
From: Glen Collins
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:38:24 +0100

Chris,

The obvious first answer is that it depends upon your goals / objectives /
product/service type, but in the main, I would say you should also at least
consider, amongst others:

- Online PR
- Online Promotions
- Email marketing
- Viral marketing
- Word of Mouth / Guerrilla / Community Marketing
- Non-banner-ad paid for Media (eg sponsorship, advertorial, pay-per-click
models etc etc)

Regarding measuring response the paid for media is relatively simple to
track/measure by using stats to give you both the quality and quantity of
response from different media owners / media.

The other techniques are slightly harder - particularly the
guerrilla/community work as by definition you cannot put in targeted links.
However, you can still use 'traditional' techniques such as surveys to give
you post campaign feedback for these mechanics. The online PR, promotions
etc you can measure response from both obtaining 'media values' from media
owners via them estimating what value your 'column inches' are worth (not
strictly speaking response measurement, but does give you a good indication
of the value of brand awareness that you have generated) and also by putting
in targeted links to measure the traffic in a similar way to the paid for
media.

This is obviously a simplistic answer to an in-depth question; ie what
should go in our online marketing strategy; but hopefully gives a few
pointers.

The key thing that we always preach, is to ensure that you have a 'marketing
strategy' and not an 'online marketing strategy' and 'offline marketing
strategy' - ie it is one overall strategy.

Regards

Glen.