Subject: RE: UKNM: Usage statistics - the truth?
From: Mary Loosemore
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:08:22 +0100

Jon, my thoughts on 1)

It depends on who your sharholders are. Family / friendly / employee
shareholders often are concerned with standards and good service, they take
a pride in their product because they are directly involved in it.

Things are vastly different once shares pass into the hands of those who are
not concerned with the business sitself, but with the money it makes. How
many people who have windfall shares actually know what their company does
on a day to day basis - how many even vote at let alone attend the AGM. By
and large people who buy shares in the open market or who invest pre-IPO are
only after one thing - money; whether it be dividend or capital gain on sale
of their shares. Producing this money and remaining attractive on the
stockmarket and so to maintain your valuation and market confidence etc
traditionally requires the company to be profitable. And profit is most
easily achieved (in the short term) by "cost efficiency" - which translates
as a compromise (not the right word, but i hope youget the gist) between
top-quality/best of the best/the ideal and price.

Mary