Subject: Re: UKNM: Mis-redemption
From: Ben Thompson
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:25:11 +0100

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 05:57:40PM +0100, aajgrayattalk21 [dot] com wrote:
> I'm grappling with a security issue involving online coupons being
presented
> at a checkout and ensuring that the coupon is redeemed against the correct
> product (i.e. avoiding mis-redemption).

Unlikely, mainly because most stores EPOS systems won't be willing to do the
work. Remember every stores EPOS is different, comes from different
suppliers and performs different tasks. Some companies use the Barcodes on
vouchers to validate offers most however just type it in as a Discount with
a code that states external voucher.

Also as most of the ones I see are IBM or NEC based I can't see how
Microsofts solution will creep into stores fast enough to solve your
problem.

Finally many sales assistants will take any voucher known to man because:-

1) It stops an argument before it begins

2) Most of the time more items are sold than vouchers received so who's
going to know. Remember:
2b) Some people never ever use vouchers

Of course, if more vouchers appear from a store compared to the number of
items they stocked in the first place their redemption of the additional
ones would consitute fraud and simply refuse to redeem the additional ones
(or all if them if you are vindictive).

> Someone mentioned that Microsoft is developing software to overcome this.
> Anyone have any details?
>
> I also recall some coverage recently on a tool that allows magazine
readers
> to scan? a magazine ad and receive a personalised incentive. Again, if
> anyone can point me in the right direction on this, I'll shout you a
> Steinlager.

Cuecat ( http://www.cuecat.com ) is probably what your thinking about. Scans
barcodes, their own fancy 2d barcodes (for adverts can be quite small) and
even codes enbedded in the audio of telly ads. Ideas great, hardware is
good, software and site poor. (the sitre got hacked and 50,000 detailed
customer records got stolen).

So is that two pints then?

Ben