Subject: RE: UKNM: Internet advertising - abuse of hit rates
From: Harry Parkes
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:13:02 +0100

Jo, are you talking about publishers who sell on a time basis or
cost-per-thousand impressions?

As Mat pointed out, as most publishers sell on the cpm basis inflating their
site's hit rates doesn't really do them any favours - unless they are
selling space on the basis of the a amount of time the ad runs.

I also tend to find that most publishers selling on cpm seem to be trying as
hard as possible to prove the veracity of their data regarding site usage
and visitor profiling.

+++ From a recent NY Times article on the subject:
The fact that Internet traffic measurement is in the early stages of
development is probably the one factor that everyone agrees on. "We have to
start somewhere and work toward the height of accuracy," said Mark Bernstein
of CNN Interactive. "I don't think there's going to be a simple solution for
the next year or two."

Should be fun :)