Subject: UKNM: RE: The Institute of Direct Marketing
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:29:45 +0100

Hi Ruth

How about a discussion of this: now that most of the business world realise
that the Internet really is going to be something after all, discuss how
institutions, journalists and companies have jumped on the bandwagon and
realised that, if they're not careful, they'll be left behind. They include
themselves and claim that they had a strategy all along and they were
waiting for the right moment to join.... but all along they thought (hoped?)
that it would fail or go away.

The subject is not directed at the IDM, although they did take some time to
realise, but from reading an article in a Catalogue & eBusiness (used to be
just called 'Catalogue', wonder why it changed it's name?) which basically
had an old duffer from the States waffling on about how eBusinesses have all
got flawed business models and catalogue companies, who were (of course ;-)
the pioneers of direct marketing organisations will succeed because they
know best. Hmmm... being a company doing both I know that the catalogue
business model has to be fundamentally changed for the net.

Sorry you don't like irony or humour, but that is all a part of this list
and the Internet in general.

John B

P.S. Is an e-creative and e-visionary? Or is it just another e-title to add
to the growing e-list?

Hi

I work with the Institute of Direct Marketing and joined this discussion
group having read about it in New Media Age. Humour, irony and cussing
aside I must say that I have found parting with my e-mail address on this
occassion worthwhile.

It seems so far that the IDM and the contributors to this group are in
agreement about the importance of targeting propects and managing customer
relations for retention purposes with a solid database supporting all
marketing activity. After all these are the core principles of direct
marketing and they are proving to be ever more important as business
operations move online.

[Sam says: msg chopped]

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.