Subject: Re: UKNM: Search Engines
From: kwhittaker
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:09:41 +0100

Ray,
I have been noting your very well measured and intelligent replies to
the " I hate banners " campaign for some little time now. In fact I have
beeen so impressed by some of your arguments recently I very nearly laid out
some of the folding stuff to join in myself.

Then it starts to get complicated, which company? Who represents value for
money?

I noticed that we all got "spammed" by a company called Adictive , just last
week. A quick look at their site claims some 13 Million page impressions per
month.

A quick look around their site. It might just be me but as far as I can see
there is not one single paying banner on any of the listed sites( not served
by them anyway ). There seems to be a few for adictive itself.

Recently there was quite an amusing thread on various sources asking if
anyone was actually benefitting from

Altervista`s much publicised but mysteriously bashful " unmetered" access.

My question is , could anyone actually own up to the benefits of Adictives
much praised ( on this list anyway ) Internet advertising service ? Just in
the interests of accuracy, the benefits of a financial nature would be
helpful.

Just for the record I happen to know that this is all a load of b******.
So Ray in short, how does one know the difference between the " real article
" and the " cowboys". I think we should be told!

By the way, I shall be attending tomorrow night and if you work for Adictive
my real name is........

On Mon, 25 September 2000, "Ray Taylor" wrote:

> Chris Meachin <cmeachinatagency [dot] com> said:
>
> > 1. Banner advertising (though not necessarily *all* placement
advertising)
> > sucks and will go the way of the dodo.
>
> Have I missed something here? Doesn't / didn't Agency.com represent
British
> Airways (among others) for banner advertising placement?
>
> Or for "banner advertising sucks" should I read "we couldn't work out
quite
> how to do banner advertising so we just came up with some glib excuses
> instead"?
>
> I think we should be told!
>
> Ray Taylor

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.