Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Institute of Direct Marketing
From: will rowan
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:58:50 +0100

Mario,

> "When everything in the world of new media is so new, and case studies are
so
> few and far between, how CAN there be a course?"

It wasn't easy to start with - but very quickly you come to appreciate how
steep
everybody's learning curve is. We've all been on it. When you're working
with
this 'stuff' every day you forget how much you have already learnt.

As new media moves from margin to mainstream, more new people start working
with
it, and ask the same 'old' questions. Look at the number of times that
'search
engine listings' hits this list - about once a month I'd guess. A public
training course can help newcomers move up the learning curve more quickly,
and
show them the direction in which developments are headed.

Courses tailored to specific company needs can move thinking within an
organisation very quickly because there's far less baggage than in other
areas -
the whole agenda is new.

Yeah, roll on interactive tv - not the interim technology we have today
that's
only half a step away from linear broadcast programming, but personal
programming on demand.

Direct marketers have some of the skills needed for online marketing -
acquiring
& managing customer information for lifetime profit, for example - but many
of
skills are entirely new, and, as you say, are being invented by doing, every
day.

Will
If you need an E Commerce answer, ask the customer first
E AskatTheCustomer [dot] co [dot] uk www.TheCustomer.co.uk
T 0700 2 878 663 [0700 Customer] FireTalk 'TheCustomer'

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.