From: Emily Dubberley
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:26:17 +0100

>Kind of amazed at the "single and double figures" for very big
prizes - a new car competition added on Loquax can often generate
over 1000 clickthrus in the first day (and we don't charge, fools that
we are!)

I agree - we get good (1000+) levels of entry even for our smaller
competitions (goodie bags worth about �100) Could be all those redirects
from Loquax :-) Or just that our competitions are targeted to our users

> Yes there are a group of hardcore people who will enter anything and
everything (sounds a bit off that, but I am talking about competitions), but
you get that offline as well.

Very true - the competitions newsgroups are full of them - but these people
are also great at generating word of mouth - posting up messages saying
they've just won whatever and generally being very positive about sites
they've won things from, which can't be a bad thing. Anyway, surely the
same goes for people entering lotteries? Or do they not count as
competition entrants?

> So yes I can run competitions at no cost. However, as I don't think it
does anyone any real favours so I don't.

Our clients and users would beg to differ - we have many clients - including
some large London based agencies ;-) - who incorporate competitions on our
site as standard when they run a campaign because they've like the results.
Anyway, surely a lottery is just another type of competition - the prize is
different but the audience is the same. I like your concept - good way of
getting mails out to people - but it's not the only effective way of running
effective online promotions which benefit the user. And they (along with the
clients) are the people who are important here.