Subject: Re: <OT> MetaTag to Expire cache (was: FLASH: caching in Flash)
From: Daniel Votino
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 05:04:54 GMT

Hi Marc.

I have been collecting snibbets on this as I find them and these are
three/4 that I have found though I don't remember where. I am not sure
which is the one to use. We need a good Meta Tag Reference booklet or
something.

"A couple of methods for having files not cached are:

But I think that only the HTML file is not Cached and
apparently these are ignored by MS Explorer and cached anyway.

What I generally do to make the process a little harder
is have a base SWF movie and the first frame of that movie
loads the main movie. This way no one really knows the
actual name of the movie. It does not stop the "Cache Crooks"
but it stops the "save target" guys."

"You can prevent a document from being cached by adding
the following META tag to the document.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">

Preventing the document from being cached ensures that
a fresh copy of the document will always be retrieved
from the site, even during the user's current session,
regardless of how the user has set the browser's caching
options. This is useful is the content changes a lot."

There is another meta tag that goes something like
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"> but I am not sure if it needs to be followed by
"content" or not.

Keep us posted on what you find works best for you if ya would. Thanx.

~Daniel