Subject: Re: FLASH: swf file stop playing
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:14:12 +0100

Hi c pm,

Still haven't seen a URL. Must be top secret stuff :-)

> I think you're right. I load the html on another faster computer, both swf
> are playing perfectly. However, if i use an animated gif in place of the swf
> file, it played all right. now 2 questions:
> i) Does it mean that the low end user will not able to see the swf file
> playing but a static image? (However, if i turn the 2nd swf file to
> autohigh, both played perfectly except some jaged text)
There are 2 types of optimizations. One is purely concerned with bytes
and the other is concerned with processing power requirements.
You need to optimize your animation processing needs if you wanty it too
play on slower computers (this is a good idea).

Possible processor optimizations:
1) Reduce multiple concurant tweens. Use tweens one at a time rather
than overlapping.
2) Allow changes to a smaller portion of the screen, eliminate unneeded
action away from the center of attention.
3) Change tweens to frame by frame animations, this will usually reduce
processor needs but increase file size.

> ii)Do u suggest to replace the swf file with the animated gif (the swf file
> is 11K compared to 141k for the animated gif)
No, see below.

> Lastly, i forget to mention that my testing is on local computer i.e i did
> not upload it to the server and test the site instead i preview my html in
> my local computer browser. Does this affect the performance ?
You take away the web loding component. If you tried it on the Web at
28800 you would know why you wouldn't want to use a 141K gif.