Subject: Re: Flash n Aware FlashTalk transcript?
From: Curtis Bay
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 18:49:17 GMT

Has anyone used Flash within Authorware?

We have recently purchased Authorware and I have been looking into using
Flash within it. I'm not trying to control Flash from within Authorware,
rather, I want to get some high-quality, small-sized animation for an
opening sequence.

For authoring, from what I can tell, the Flash Asset Xtra for Authorware is
the same one used for Director. (true?) My understanding is that you either
need the Flash Asset Xtra ($199) or deal with ActiveX nonsense.

<gripe>I know it has been mentioned before, but it seems rather underhanded
to charge an xtra two hundred bucks to someone who just paid that same
amount for flash, and two thousand dollars for Authorware.</gripe>

Here's what I'm foggy on: On the client side for web deployment, my
understanding is that the client browser needs the _latest_ Authorware
Shockwave plugin, which includes some flashifying. If they have an older
version of the plugin, does ye olde Flash plugin work, or can they just get
one small file to update their Authorware Shockwave plugin?

For regular (non-Shockwave) packaged Authorware distribution, you need to
include a Flash runtime. Does this need to be installed on the client
machine, or is this a behind-the-scenes deal?

There is a rather incomplete Technote #12969 that addresses some of these
issues, and there are some large downloads that might have more info.

Curtis