Subject: Re: "Loading..."
From: Joshua Ulm
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 19:28:24 GMT

>One of the real advantages of using Flash is its streaming capability.
>No one should have to see a Please Wait, Loading or dead time.
>A small loading animation should be disguised as eye candy and blended
>into the presentation (if and when needed). The viewer shouldn't be made
>aware he is waiting. Use a wait-for-frame loop to implement this to
>adjust for variations in download time. The loading sequence should be
>at the beginning of the movie. A Wait-for frame Demo movie and tech note
>can be found at the Flash Tech Resource (URL in sig below).

I have to disagree with John here.

In the development of the Olympic.org site we had originally believed
that Flash would stream adequately. Which for the most part it does.
However, in many circumstances, the unpredictability of download streams
would cause serious problems. initial frames would load and be available
to users but sometimes pauses in the network download streams would be
sufficient to hang up the stream just long enough for the user to
interact with the movie, and access parts that required deeper potions of
the movie to be loaded - resulting in scripting errors (we were using
javascript), dropping of symbols, and non-functional buttons. Seriously
disconcerting problems for our users. That unpredictability alone was
enough for us to incorporate wait frames.

furthermore, if you are using Flash in a non-participatory event, (ie.
the user sits back and watches, not interacting), as we often do in the
site, the streaming oftentimes fails to keep up with the speed of the
movie, creating painful gaps. even if, as John suggests, you make a frame
that is transparent, which i agree you should always try and do (make
wait frames as seamless as possible that is), they need to be apparent
enough that users know what is going on. Many of our users suggested that
they didn't mind waiting if they knew that that was what they were doing.

I do not suggest making Flash wait until the entire movie is downloaded,
just enough so that the rest can stream after the user begins to watch.
Again, pay special attention to you end-users system set-up. If you
audience is on slower systems, give it more of a wait. Take a look at
<http://www.olympic.org> for examples.

josh.

{
quokka sports.