Subject: Re: [FLASH: Flash vs Directory on Interactivity...]
From: Kevin Darbro
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:30:10 +0100

nickolas c wrote:

> > Sherrie Rausch wrote:
> >
> > > Would Flash suffice or would Authorware be the more
> > > appropriate vehicle?
>

> I would have thought the correct answer here would be "depends exactly what
> you want to do". The company I work for has just had to produce [technical
> reasons] an interactive training package using Director."So what" you say.
> Well it took nearly 6 months to program. It takes no more than 6 WEEKS for
> me to build the same thing in Authorware.

Sherrie:

Nickolas is entirely right about your choice of software depending on "exactly
what you want to do," but having experience with all three, Authorware,
Director, and Flash, I'd have to recommend Director. If you have a linear or
interactive piece, Director is slicker, and it's a breeze to import Flash
Movies. I find Authorware clunky, and not the least bit sexy. Fine tuning in
Authorware is difficult, and I'd much rather do things the right way the first
time than find workarounds. Authorware is good for large CBT projects, where
very little programming experience is involved. It's got a bunch of built in
variables for tracking and stuff. It's flowchart metaphor IS very intuitive,
much more than the score in Director for branching and things, but once you are
familiar with the interface of Director, it will make perfect sense.
Director's actually much more like Flash than Authorware, but you can grow into
it as well.

It does have a bit of a learning curve, but there are plenty of good books out
there for learning it. FWIW, I hope to never use Authorware again, but keep in
mind, I've been at Director a while.

HTH,

Kevin Darbro
Senior Multimedia Producer